Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Service in the Congo and 2 Baptisms

May 27, 2013
 
Sawadiikha family!

This week was fairly hard. In the words of Kid President: "Two words diverged in the [CONGO] and I took the one less traveled by..... AND IT HURT MAN!" (for Kyle: I actually ripped my skirt right in the bum, so.... "my pants broke" actually applies here.)

Not sure why-- my routine was all off and I learned a lot of different things about being a missionary the hard way. I am also very humble at this point of time-- yes, I understand a lot of language sometimes, but did I mention how much I DON'T understand? ALOT. And I speak less than I understand. Haha. Such is life. :)

Anyway, let's talk about the weird and funny:
-We were soooo close to McDonald's because we were taking Sis Weed to the doctor's (she got sicky from food poisoning and bacteria. hahah) and so we get there after my pleas worked and just as I'm about to order, BAM all the lights shut off in the whole shopping center! NOOOOOOOooooo.... Needless to say, God probably saved me from a terrible food poisoning disaster too. But oh how I wanted that burger and fries.

I actually like quite a few things here :) It's just the options are verrryyyy limited.

There was a day this week where I was just so relaxed and happy, eating with the members, understanding a lot of what they were saying, eating food that I've learned to like, all while the rain pleasantly fell while we sat in their backyard gazebo like shelter-fortress. Very cool. I remembered I'm in Udonthani Thailand.

So Thai is almost overly simple-- sometimes it's hard to translate your thoughts because they all come back to the same word. :P So in english you could describe something with 3 different words, like: "It was riveting, exciting, and thrilling." In thai, it'd be all the same word. So until my vocab gets bigger... hoorah for simplicity. Haha

This week we went and served on Sister Jean/(Jiin)'s farm. She grows HUGE sugarcane bushes. So we got in long pants and long sleeves and went through throwing nutrition beads all over through the crops. What a new experience. So cool.

As for new creatures: a giant lizard monster called a "duugae!" Its like a food long and bites. Mean little suckers! Or rather, big suckers... So guess what we found in the baptismal font for our 2 girls getting baptized on saturday? Yeah, a GIANT DUUGAE! It has since disappeared somewhere else in the church. We didnt know how to get it out, so we left it. And now it's gone. Surprise! Maybe it'll show up during sacrament....

I had a cool experience this week with instant prayer answering and what it is capable of. I was riding my bike home at the head of the 3 other sisters, and it was about 10 to 9pm. I found myself praying:

"Let me find someone to help or simply to make a little happier on this ride home. I know I only have about literally 1 min before we get home, but help me meet someone."

I testify this actually happened: not 35 seconds later, on our 'not so busy' street, I felt someone riding closely behind me slowly on a motorscooter. I slow a little, he speeds up to get even with me.

And then he stopped  me! He wanted to talk! I have never (let alone been stopped) had someone try to talk to me on that particular street-- or really anywhere! He was beyond nice and did everything possible to understand me and communicate back. He left afterward with a huge smile on his face... an pamphlets. Haha.

Great experience, God answers prayers! Quickly sometimes!

In other news, every sister in my mission is either training or in training. After this, 11 sisters come in. Is very possible I may or may not have to train way earlier than I'll feel comfortable with. :p Crazy huh!! If I were serving a boy's mission, June 27th will be my 'year mark'. With the 9 week change for transfers, I finish June 27, 2014. How weird-- I really don't have a lot of time here! GOTTA USE IT TO THE FULLEST!

I love you all!!! Congratulations to Makayla on her graduation, and Jared on finishing his mission!! Can't believe either of those things are happening. Also... I'm in Thailand? What?

Love,
Sister Painter!

No comments:

Post a Comment