Tuesday, June 18, 2013

"The Circle of Life!"

Sunday, June 2, 2013 (Monday her time)

Hello everyone!!

I'm gonna call this week the Circle of Life. Why? One, because I sang it a few times this week: the Thai's love it. It's loud. And also because I saw more dead things and newborn things than ever. But I'll just talk about the newborn things: much cuter!

A member's daughter who isn't a member, just had a tiny tiny baby girl. So Sis Pannida and I went to the hospital to see her. My expectation of the word hospital was drastically off, apparently. When we got there, it was like a World War II cot location, about 30 new moms and tiny soundless babies (WHY DON'T ASIAN BABIES CRY??) all totally calm and relaxed. So we found her and said hello, and I think because of this new baby, she'll open her heart to the gospel more. I told her, "She's so sweet, she just came from Heaven." It's true.

All newborns had little "hand booties" so they don't get them in their mouth or eyes. Weird, because maybe that's the trick to keeping babies calm? Haha. Maybe they're all just scared of their own fingers...

So this week I got a phone call from President Senior and his wife. ...Uhhhh scary! What did I do! So Sis Senior says, "Hey, I want to hear you play the violin." to which I'm totally taken offguard. I'm like, "Wait, what? Who told you that?" Hahaha, yes I said that. She says, "Your missionary application!" to which I promptly hit myself in the forehead. Anyway, the following question was:

"Will you play a musical number at zone conference this Wednesday in Khongaen?" ...... WHATTTT.

But for some reason I said yes! WHY! I don't know. So she says, "Okay, try and find a violin!"

Needless to say, one member in Branch 2 had one! Whoa! ... but it was 20 years old, couldn't hold a tune, and Sis Weed promptly broke a string on it. :p So we had to both fix it and decide that was a bad idea.

So... Happy Birthday early to me? Sorry, but I had to end up buying one? It's okay because it was pretty darn cheap. But anyway, now I have something to both relieve stress and play for baptisms... Now everyone is asking me to prepare a number for their baptisms here in Udon. :p I guess that's what I get. Jared would have his mouth wide open-- he NEVER got to play on his mission! And I get here and my mission president ASKS me to. :p

Anyway, moving on! Yesterday I had a couple small personal successes. First, I walked into Relief Society and felt like I should translate for Sister Hart (couple missionary who can't speak the language). Then, at the same time, a member asked me to actually do it! So I was like, "Yeah, I can do it. No I really can." And Sis Hart was skeptical. I told her, "I can give you a good 60%." She laughed and said, "Okay go for it."

No really. I don't know how it happened, but I translated EVERYTHING that was said during that lesson. It was NOT me. But it was all so clear. So much clearer than any lesson I've ever heard! And it was a great lesson! At the end Sis Hart looks at me and says, "Holy cow-You did really good!"

Let it be known, it wasn't me. There's just no way. All I did was trust, and every time I had no idea, all of a sudden I'd just know and my mouth was already translating. Then the teacher would share something from a Liahona article from Bednar to support what everyone was talking about during activities, etc, and it was exactly as I had just said. Stories and all. Wow. Every time I pointed out where she was reading, I was like, "Wait, did I just do that?"

This is real life.

This morning we went on an adventure about 2 1/2 hours away to hike up to a waterfall. Well, the water was missing, but the hike was awesome! Mom would be floored. This is greener than greener and jungle-y-er than ever.

I LOVE YOU ALL! Enjoy Disneyworld, Car Trips, and, oh, Welcome Home from Armenia Elder Hammer!!!!!!!!!!!! Somebody hug that kid for me.

Love,
Sister Painter

No comments:

Post a Comment